[Prev][Next][Thread Index][Subject Index]

Re: NEWS: Paramount is Shutting Down Trek Websites!!!

[Note: Newsgroups line edited (ras no longer exists, people).
       Follows reset to ras.misc.]

bakslash@nicom.com (Arthur Levesque) writes:

>     You'd think they'd like the free advertsing...  I can understand
>them going after sites with First Contact scripts/spoilers/etc.; or
>"Voyager sucks" sites, etc.  I'm not saying I *like* it, but I
>understand.

   All evidence to date suggests that that is all they are doing.

>JM>It seems to imply, if not actually say, that people who create
>JM>artwork of any Star Trek entity is also in violation of the
>JM>copyright.

>     Which is not technically true; the copyright laws do allow "fair
>use"...  Of course, they don't tell you that; they count on you being
>intimidated by their lawyers and not asking any questions.

   You obviously have no grasp _whatsoever_ of what copyright law
does or does not allow:

   1) JM's statement _is_ true.  Paramount/Viacom owns
      the rights to Star Trek.  This includes derivative works.
      The fact that TPTB have generally turned a blind eye to fan
      produced works does not change that a whit.
   2) Your definition of "fair use" isn't even in the same _state_
      as the actual definition.

   I suggest you get to a library and study Copyright law.
Try again when you can rub two valid statements together.

--
| Ron C. Carman                                     rccarman@netcom.com  |
| Obscene level of incompetence, excessive inanity in the story line,    |