[Prev][Next][Thread Index][Subject Index]

Shutting Down ST Websites

I was shocked to hear Viacom was forcing people to shut down websites.

I have recently been reading Star Trek - The New Voyages, which has been
reprinted from the 1970's, before TMP.  In it, the great bird himself
credited ST's fans and them alone for keeping Trek alive when the
companies that owned it couldn't care less (and Paramount owned it then,
right ... they bought Desilu).

In fact, Roddenberry says in the introduction: "... we realized that there
is no more profound way in which people could express what Star Trek has
meant to them than by creating their very own Star Trek things."

So long live Star Trek web pages ... the fans will keep Trek alive years
from now when Paramount decides "the franchise" is losing them money, or
Trek falls out of favour.  Sorrily, history shows us this will happen.
When was the last good REAL western on TV.  They used to be on all the
time ... in fact, Trek was Wagon Train to the Stars.  Now you can't find
anybody riding a horse (except on a holodeck!).  When Trek goes way of
Gunsmoke, its fans will keep it alive until the next generation revives it
(pun intended).

Damn ... I guess I'm a Trekker after all.

Brian

| Brian Gedcke                    @~/ ,. \~@    You should never take more  |
| Gedcke@freenet.hamilton.on.ca  /_( \__/ )_\   than you give - Elton John  |