[Prev][Next][Thread Index][Subject Index]

Re: Viacom's Web Assault

In article <59sal2$33q@rainbow.rmii.com>, blanche@rmi.net says...

>Rather than sending hostile missives to Viacom, perhaps another approach
>is in order...
>
>Immediately shut off ALL Trek-related websites.
>   (or turn them into private access websites)
>
>Immediately stop posting to the ras? groups.
>Immediately stop visiting the MSN Trek website.
>Immediately stop buying Pocket Trek books, Playmates figures, etc.
>
>Immediately stop watching VOY (now - that wasn't so hard, was it?)
>Immediately stop watching DS9
>Immediately stop watching Trek reruns
>[for the last 3, remember to write a polite letter to your local stations
>   explaining *why* you are not watching the shows]
>
>In other words - a complete and total moratorium on everything and
>anything Trek.
>
>Trek doesn't exist for a week. Or as long as we decide. Trek goes into
>the Black Hole.
>
>Wonder what kind of reaction would result?

What would result?  Well, assuming this message reached every Star Trek fan
with Internet access, and assuming that this boycott was universallly upheld
by every Star Trek fan with Internet access, then for one week, Star Trek
viewership, merchandise sales, and all Star Trek related activity would drop
by somewhere under 15%, probably closer to 10% or below.

Significant, but not fatal.

I've been watching these threads on Usenet, and there are some excellent
Star Trek sites that I'd really hate to see shut down - but has it occurred
to *anyone* out there to contact The New York Times?  ABC?  CBS?  The
Washington Post?  CNN?

Don't you folks understand that, at least for *today*, those of us with
Internet access are in a significant minority?  Most Star Trek fans have
absolutely no idea about any of this.  Why haven't I seen anything about
this on CNN?

Joyce