[Prev][Next][Thread Index][Subject Index]

Re: NEWS: Paramount is Shutting Down Trek Websites!!!

Quark's Latinum Lady (pirateq@ix.netcom.com) shouted from the wilderness:
QLL>Paramount is cracking down on Star Trek websites that violate
QLL>copyright law by using copyrighted pictures, photos, art, logos,
QLL>movies, sounds, characters, etc.

     Exactly how do you create a Star Trek website that DOESN'T contain
ANYTHING related to Trek?

Vic Holtreman (vich@netcom.com) replied:
VH>So I guess if you want to know anything about Trek on the web, you
VH>have to pray

     That's "PAY"

VH>...to the great god Bill Gates and subscribe to the Microsoft
VH>Network, eh?

     You'd think they'd like the free advertsing...  I can understand
them going after sites with First Contact scripts/spoilers/etc.; or
"Voyager sucks" sites, etc.  I'm not saying I *like* it, but I
understand.

Jack M. Cooper (sdjpe@atl.mindspring.com) pointed out:
JC>Well, they did say that he was posting the FC script synopsis...

     There you go.

J "Darkwynd" Martin asked:
JM>I wonder if MSN had anything to do with this.

     Does the word "DUH" mean anything to you?  How can they make people
pay to visit their site when there are other Trek sites that are free?
What they want is called a "monopoly"; and if they get away with owning a
monopoly on on-line Trek info, who knows where they'll go next?  Maybe
MSNBC will prohibit anyone else from having news sites...

JM>It seems to imply, if not actually say, that people who create
JM>artwork of any Star Trek entity is also in violation of the
JM>copyright.

     Which is not technically true; the copyright laws do allow "fair
use"...  Of course, they don't tell you that; they count on you being
intimidated by their lawyers and not asking any questions.

JM>I wonder what Roddenberry would say to this shit.

     Don't kid yourself, he was in it for the money too.

     Personally, they can take my web site when they pry it out of my
cold, dead hard drive...  Not that my site is anything Paramount would be
worried about!  :)
--
/\       Arthur Michael Levesque 2A4W <*> bubba bo bob bakslash@nicom.com
\B\ack   King of the Potato People =/\= Alicia's Quad Prince Homey Bunny!