[Prev][Next][Thread Index][Subject Index]

Re: NEWS: Paramount is Shutting Down Trek Websites!!!

Arthur Levesque (bakslash@nicom.com) wrote:
: Quark's Latinum Lady (pirateq@ix.netcom.com) shouted from the wilderness:
: QLL>Paramount is cracking down on Star Trek websites that violate
: QLL>copyright law by using copyrighted pictures, photos, art, logos,
: QLL>movies, sounds, characters, etc.

:      Exactly how do you create a Star Trek website that DOESN'T contain
: ANYTHING related to Trek?

: Vic Holtreman (vich@netcom.com) replied:
: VH>So I guess if you want to know anything about Trek on the web, you
: VH>have to pray

:      That's "PAY"

: VH>...to the great god Bill Gates and subscribe to the Microsoft
: VH>Network, eh?

: J "Darkwynd" Martin asked:
: JM>I wonder if MSN had anything to do with this.

: JM>It seems to imply, if not actually say, that people who create
: JM>artwork of any Star Trek entity is also in violation of the
: JM>copyright.

:      Which is not technically true; the copyright laws do allow "fair
: use"...  Of course, they don't tell you that; they count on you being
: intimidated by their lawyers and not asking any questions.

	That brings up a very good point... fair use.  Do the people who
have Star Trek stuff on their website get money from the people who access the
site?  Are the people who have Star Trek stuff on their web pages getting any
money or profit at all as it relates to their web pages and Star Trek?  What about
the web pages in other countries that have Star Trek stuff?  Are they in violation
of international copyright law by having Star Trek stuff on their pages?

--
John-William DeClaris
"An Old Fashioned User of The Internet"

My remarks are my own and not reflective of Yale University.