[Prev][Next][Thread Index][Subject Index]

Re: NEWS: Paramount is Shutting Down Trek Websites!!!

declaris@pantheon.yale.edu (John Declaris) wrote:

>	That brings up a very good point... fair use.  Do the people who
>have Star Trek stuff on their website get money from the people who access the
>site?  Are the people who have Star Trek stuff on their web pages getting any
>money or profit at all as it relates to their web pages and Star Trek?  What about
>the web pages in other countries that have Star Trek stuff?  Are they in violation
>of international copyright law by having Star Trek stuff on their pages?

>--
>John-William DeClaris
>"An Old Fashioned User of The Internet"
>declaris@minerva.cis.yale.edu
>http://pantheon.cis.yale.edu/~declaris

>My remarks are my own and not reflective of Yale University.

Well, I haven't gained a cent, speaking for my own Trek web page.  I don't remember if I
mentioned it, but I *did* ask Paramount for permission to use some pictures from them when
I first started my site.  They sent me a message that Creation is who would handle that.
So, I contacted Creation and they sent me to another Sci-Fi company (I forget the name).
That company sent me to local networks, who said they couldn't help me!  I'm not saying
this means I should be able to use the pictures, but if Paramount has a problem with it,
you'd think they would have told me in the beginning!