[Prev][Next][Thread Index][Subject Index]

Re: NEWS: Paramount is Shutting Down Trek Websites!!!

Sambuc <sambuc@iprolink.ch> wrote:

>Quark's Latinum Lady wrote:
>>
>> Paramount is cracking down on Star Trek websites that violate copyright law by using
>> copyrighted pictures, photos, art, logos, movies, sounds, characters, etc.  Some
>> webmasters have already received a letter warning them to remove all copyrighted materials
>> from their sites.  Chris Harrison has this letter posted, which you can read at:
>>
>> http://www.igs.net/~chrisharr/startrek.html

>My first reaction is to *angrily* SHOUT: WHAT THE HELL DO
> THEY THINK THEY ARE DOIN' ?
>Then , my second one is to think about what we can do about that,
> how we can react and make them understand they're making a
>*huge* mistake. I mean, the whole "official" stuff you can
> find on the Web is crap. I don't use Internet Explorer and so I can't
> go the MS Star Trek site. The Paramount thing is lame and really only
>the fans have been able to do something great with the whole thing !
> ST lives thanks to whom, do you think ? OK, they produce it, but
> without us they're dead !  I wish we could do something like they
> did back in the 1968, but this time about *thier* rights and *ours*,
>that is, to enjoy ourselves by sharing what we like with other fans.
>Only a very small percentage of people makes money out of fandom.
> The great majority simply has fun with it, nothing else !

>Opinion, anyone ?

>Joelle ( who could really puts her money on  something else if needed)

>--
I did subscribe to MSN, at least temporarily, because they're currently allowing people to
join for a free month.  I checked out STAR TREK CONTINUUM.  Frankly, there's some nice
stuff there, but I've been more impressed with some of the non-official sites!  They have
a virtual world called "Quark's Bar," which is basically live chat.  When you go into the
bar, it sounds like there's a crowd, thus setting the mood.  Except, if no other users are
there, you're the only one you see, besides Quark at the bar (whom you can't talk to or
order a drink from and get a response).  If there *are* people there, everyone is
two-dimensional and you can do limited things, like wave, smile, or flirt, but once you
get over the initial "Oh, a virtual world--neat!" there's not much to be impressed by,
IMO.  MSN has other virtual worlds, too, but Quark's Bar took so long to download, then it
wasn't that thrilling, so I haven't bothered downloading other worlds.  There's some good
information, and the updates are helpful, but overall, you get the same information in the
various newsletters, sites, etc. like "Warp 10".  And I prefer IRC to Quark's Bar, plus I
just got The Palace, which seems to be a really cool live chat program.  But if you want
to see STAR TREK CONTINUUM for yourself, take the free month and check it out.

Jen