[Next][Thread Index][Subject Index]

URGENT!! The Wrath of Viacom!

Friends:

As you may, or may not know, Tony Gelskey has recently received another
letter. Smaller AOL/Compuserve pages have begun to be shut-down as well.

Bascially, Viacom has decided that all Star Trek pictures, sound bytes,
clips, everything, is in violation, and cannot be placed on fan pages.

Basically, they continue to judge the internet just like television or
magazines and other media, when in fact, an entire new set of rules must be
made for the Internet.

Up until now we have been free to share our opinions on Star Trek. Just
this year with the rumors circulating about ST:FC, Viacom tried to shut
down pages with so-called 'synopses' and such. STFCWEB.COM was never shut
down. As to this day, STFCWEB.COM continues to deny that any such materials
are 'proported to be from the movie STFC..'

I find it terribly alarming that they are taking this action. Pictures and
sounds etc. should be allowed to be posted on the Internet. Heck, basic
pages such as TrekWeb.COM that deal with ALL Trek including discussion and
mainly an Archive of Trek-related photos, sounds etc. may be shut down
(NEVER!).

I am as of this moment calling everyone to action. We need to fight this.
Not only will we continue to help other movements (such as the ban of
ST:Continuum on MSN), but we must begin out own. I think we should also
boycott MSN completely.

I am open to suggestions! Do you agree with me?

We need to find ourselves a lawyer, and take it up ourselves. This is
urgent! This is not just some anger over proported 'synopses' or anything
else, but over ALL Star Trek (except discussion alone, which Viacom acts as
if they GIVE US THE RIGHT, when in fact we are entitled by the Consitution
of the U.S. to discuss what we like) online except for their 'official'
sites.

PLEASE, MAIL ME IMMEDIATELY! WE MUST FIGHT!!

-Steve Krutzler, STFCWEB, TrekWeb (which I hope to have updated soon, and
on a new server! I apologize for lack of updates. My review guy has not
responded for weeks, and I may be in the hunt for a new one.)