[Prev][Next][Thread Index][Subject Index]

Re: URGENT!! The Wrath of Viacom!

> So maybe a few people will be upset because their "Greatest Fan Site" is
ordered to cease and desist, but remember if
> you run a site like that it's stealing.  Maybe you think you're helping
the show.  Some TV shows Producers and
> Production Companies or Studios (The X-Files, Babylon 5 for example) love
the fan sites.  But keep in mind if you are
> running a site that bitches and complains about Paramount "ruining Star
Trek" then what the hell do you expect.  And if
> you go an post a bootleg of the script for the next episode or the next
movie then you are breaking copyright laws,
> violating trademarks and brand identity.

Regarding 'stealing', I see what you're saying, but it's more like public
domain. Are we not allowed to show ST pics/original works/artistic
renditions to our friends? Why not to thousands across the Internet for
free? As far as 'bootleg scripts' go, I have never seen a shred of evidence
saying that such scripts you refer to are authentic. I could have written
it myself, who knows. Besides, if it's NOT PROPORTED to be from the next
movie or episode, then there's no problem.

I won't even get into the fact that we can 'bitch' all we want, thus
amendmant one. Not that I do, because I don't. But if I did, I'm perfectly
entitled to. But you're right, such things only draw the attention of
Viacom.

> But finally, how many of the fans site's Webmasters ever bothered to send
a letter and say "we're trying to support the
> show, we'd like to do a tasteful Web site to help promote the show.
Think of our efforts as grassroot campaign to
> support the show."

Funny, that's exactly what we are going to do. We are starting a campaign
to do this, and gain support for it.

Follow-Ups: References: