[Prev][Next][Thread Index][Subject Index]

Re: URGENT!! The Wrath of Viacom!

Warbird <warbird@postoffice.worldnet.att.net> writes:

>You're right, it isn't sensible.  Viacom won't pursue their copyrights in
>printed material because there are so many people violating it, that it
>would cost them way more than they want to spend if they tried to
>prosecute everyone.

Once again, simply put, you're wrong.  Viacom/Paramount rather rigorously
attacked some non-licensed Trek material being sold at conventions back east
a couple of years ago.  They have a history of scoping out the conventions
and making note of unlicensed stuff.  They've gotten into beefs with D.C.
Comics people because they didn't like the way a license was being used.
They don't go after the fan newsletters because fan newsletters don't have a
significant impact on revenue, whereas non-licensed memorabilia does.
Evidently, they feel that web sites are now cutting into a potential revenue
stream.  These guys manage a multi-million dollar franchise - give them
the credit for brains that they deserve, please.

				Jim

--
Jim Griffith  /--OO--\     | Two great powers are on our side: the power of
griffith@netcom.com        | Love and the power of Arithmetic.  These two are