[Prev][Next][Thread Index][Subject Index]

Re: Read only if you love TREK

In article <01bbecb2$61872040$82a3fccc@www.swlink.net>, OdoLover@swlink.net
says...

>Todd wrote:
>>>But it's not arrogant to appropriate creative ideas, characters,
>settings,
>and trademarks ownded by other people, and to distribute them to a
>potentially world-wide audience without so much as dropping said
>people a
>dime?<<

Well, Odolover, in a way I agree with you, and in a way I don't.

>Gee, are you a lawyer for Viacom?
>
>This is an outright injustice, not to mention a threat to our right
>of free speech.  Pretty soon if you even mention "Star Trek" you'll
>have to pay Viacom/Paramount their nickel.  MSN is already
>restricting access to information that by all rights is FREE, but
>demanding we pay them a monthly fee so we can access it.  Is that
>right?  No.  Trek is an concept, an idea, and idea's are not

Actually Trek is "intellectual property" and the copyright laws apply.

>something to be restricted.  Trekker websites provide
>Viacom/Paramount FREE advertising and promote interest in Trek.
>Advertising and promotions increase their revenue, it doesn't take
>ONE cent out of their pocket.  Those web sites actually EARN THEM
>MORE $$ by gathering more fans and creating interest.  What is
>being done by these greedy executives is wrong.

Personally, I think Viacom/Paramount is being incredibly foolish in their
crackdown on websites.  I would like to know which websites got notices, and
what they were posting.  I recall a few months ago that websites that had
what were alleged to be scripts or summaries of the plot of First Contact
were targetted by Paramount, and I have to admit I sympathize with Paramount
in that instance.

Maybe it's because I'm a writer.  I know that if I had a book that could be
a bestseller (and I don't, alas), I would get pretty steamed if someone took
that book and posted it on the Internet.  That's stealing money from me.  Of
course, a script is not a movie, but were I a moviemaker, I would also be
highly incensed if someone posted the script of a movie I was making before
the movie was released.  Of course, the novelization probably hit the stands
before the movie release, so that people who wanted their "spoilers" before
going to the theater could get their fix.  But the owner of the property is
still compensated.

I know this is an unpopular position on the internet, but a collection of
words (not ideas) can be someone's property.  Someone worked to put those
words in that particular order, and they deserve to be compensated.

In the trek newsgroups, I have noted a tendency of Trek fans to believe that
due to their long devotion, they actually *own* Trek, rather than the actual
copyright owners.  The law says otherwise.  A similar situation arose a few
years ago when the Margaret Mitchell estate contracted with a romance writer
to write a sequel to Gone With The Wind.  I thought it was a dumb move
(though of course it made them a bundle, so perhaps not so dumb), but many
GWTW fans were incensed and tried to say that the Mitchell estate didn't
have the RIGHT to do that.  On the contrary.  As holders of the copyright,
they had every right to do it.

Now.  Having said that, I still think Paramount is being ridiculous for
trying to shut down sites that are simple appreciation and fan activity.
But are they within their legal rights?  The answer to that probably varies
from site to site.

Joyce

>The SW fans *won* their fight against similar actions against the
>SW websites.  They did it by inundating those greedy executives and
>writing in droves.  Now we outnumber them and we can stop this
>injustice.  If not being able to see pics, wavs, art, or eventually
>even talk about Trek upsets you, good because that is what Viacom
>*doesn't* want.  They are being underhanded & they think that by
>initiating their crackdown now, the holidays would make the fans
>lazy and keep them from protesting.  They are wronger than they
>know.  Save the show you love and your right to view it and talk
>about it and share it with your friends!  Write your protest to:
>
>Mallory D. Levitt               Rick Berman, Producer
>Viacom, Inc                     Paramount Pict/Hart Bldg 105
>1515 Broadway           5555 Melrose Avenue
>New York, NY 10036-5794 Los Angeles, CA  90038-3197
>
>DS9 fans -- submit your protest by e-mail to UPN/Paramount's
>comm channel web site: http://www.upn44.com./ds9f.htm
>
>VOY fans -- submit your protest directly to voyager@paramount.com
>Our only advantage is our numbers and our unity.  Remember IDIC.
>
>Now lets fight the good fight!!
>--
>(-{-)*  OdoLover@swlink.net / *header address altered to avoid
>SPAM*
>"I should know by now to trust your instincts."  Scully
>
>"Why? Nobody else does."  Mulder  / X-Files
>"It has been my observation that one of the prices of giving people
>freedom of choice is that sometimes they make the wrong choice."
>                        Odo on making choices / "Shakaar"

Follow-Ups: References: