[Prev][Next][Thread Index][Subject Index]

Re: Paramount hates money- Was RE:NEWS:Paramount is shutting down trek websites

In article <32497993.56FC@psu.edu>, Stephen <sec108@psu.edu> says:

>Sambuc wrote:
>>
>> Quark's Latinum Lady wrote:
>> >
>> > Paramount is cracking down on Star Trek websites that violate copyright law by using
>> > copyrighted pictures, photos, art, logos, movies, sounds, characters, etc.  Some
>> > webmasters have already received a letter warning them to remove all copyrighted materials
>> > from their sites.  Chris Harrison has this letter posted, which you can read at:
>> >
>> > http://www.igs.net/~chrisharr/startrek.html
>
>     This fiasco belongs on the pages of Dilbert.  Only corperate america
>could be so stupid as to piss off (pardon my french) the very loyal ST
>fans who have taken the time to make their free ST advertising web sites.
>In the process, paramount showing that they care nothing about any of the
>loyal fans who have made trek a huge cash cow.  There is so much money to
>be made from trek, but the misguided people at paramount are determined
>to kill trek before the 21st century.  The quality of the upcoming movie
>may decide the fate of a franchise that is floundering for no reason
>other than poor management.  ST has the fans, the history, a huge
>universe to use, but is intent on self-destruction.

There is one, and only one, way to get to the management at Paramount.
Letter writing to Paramount may, or may not, do any good.  What is
guaranteed to get to them is if the parent corporation, Viacom,
suddenly starts receiving letters, phone calls, etc, from advertisers
who have been beseiged by irate fans.  I would strongly suggest
the following type of letter:

	Dear (whomever),
		Paramount has recently begun action against the
	fans of their Star Trek shows, barring the use of trademark
	information on their Web sites.  This action is a direct
	affront against loyal fans.  Because your advertisements
	support the Star Trek shows, I am compelled to boycott your
	products unless and until Paramount reverses their position
	regarding fan use of their trademark information.

	Sincerely,
	(whomever)

When the advertisers talk, Paramount will listen.  Unless we fans
do such a letter-writing campaign, Paramount will continue to greedily
and mercilessly attack, until merely mentioning the name "Star Trek"
on the net subjects one to harassment.

Paramount needs to relearn a lesson about good-will as a powerful
marketing aid.

Norman C. Kluksdahl
nkluksda@ghgcorp.com

	the fans, and as your products support Paramounts